Sorry. I’m a little excited. On Sunday, I finished Kit and this morning it is finally dry and that means it is finished! Honestly, it wasn’t a difficult knit or even particularly big, but I am feeling triumphant! Also, I love it.
I don’t have any finished shots of me wearing it (L and I have not had many daylight hours together in the last couple of days), but oh well. I thought about waiting, but no, I’m too pleased. Because of my tighter (firmer?) gauge, this is not the flowy, beachy tank that you might expect based on the pattern pictures; instead, it’s a more fitted top, knit at just about zero ease. I really like this version, and I’m actually seriously considering casting on for another one, but going up two needle sizes so I’ll get a slightly different look. As I said, I love it.
Generally speaking, though, the things I love in the finished garment were not really things I loved in the knitting of the garment. The half-linen stitch border, which I could actually consider making a half inch wider in a second version? I hated knitting it. It was so, so slow. (Although, to my great surprise and delight, knitting it flat was a total pleasure, and looks nicer too, so go figure.) I was also totally dismayed to realize that after finishing the straps and sewing them down there was more finishing to do. I actually thought about not doing it, but then, well, it looks so nice and polished.
Pattern: Kit Camisole by Bristol Ivy
Yarn: Louet Euroflax Sportweight in Golden Rod
Needle: 3 mm
Mods: The main mod was my gauge, which as substantially tighter than the pattern’s. To accommodate that, I changed the following:
- I did fewer decreases. I decreased four times total, basically following the pattern for those four and then just stopping (rather than spreading them out over the course of the whole piece). (I should note that this threw off the stitch count in terms of restarting the half-linen stitch pattern at the top of the back, so while the pattern worked for me, that means it won’t work for you if you follow it. Cassy talked to the designer and it’s being fixed.)
- Because I had more stitches at the top of the back than the pattern said I should have, I had to rework the number of stitches to bind off for the back. To do that, I just counted all my stitches (269) and divided by two, allocating 134 for the front and 135 for the back. From the 135, I subtracted 21 (the stitches in the centre panel) and the divided that number in half so I’d know how many stitches needed to be on each side of the panel to keep it centred. The end result just meant moving my beginning of round marker back one stitch (adding two stitches to the front).
- I did an extra set of decreases on the front for two reasons: 1. My gauge opened up a lot once I started knitting flat, and 2. I had two more stitches because I did fewer decreases on the back.
- I knit my straps on 13 stitches and made them 11 inches (rather than 9.5), and kind of wish I’d made them even slightly longer. The finishing looks really nice, but it snugs things up.
And there you go. I’m not sure I’ll cast on for a second one right this minute, but I’m already thinking about what colour to knit it in, which is definitely a sign. My Kit is ravelled here.